Categories: Half Marathons, Physical Education, RnR Half Denver, Stuff I Love, Trader Joe's
1. Trader Joe’s Organic Greens. Typically I’m not a fan of bagged lettuces but, since I didn’t grow any in the garden this year, I can’t resist this. It’s a mix of baby kale, spinach and chard. All tiny and tender and delicious. I use it on sandwiches, salads, as a bed for other veggies, in smoothies, pretty much everywhere.
2. Trader Joe’s Smoked Almonds. It’s no secret I’m a huge TJ fan. These are roasted and salted plus the whole smoke thing probably makes them less than stellar health-wise compared to their raw compadres. But I’m eating them instead of sugary snacks, for which I do not have an off switch. They’re delicious and the lesser of the evils.
3. Nike Pro Half Zip. I dragged home yet another long-sleeve half zip. I probably needed this like another hole in the head but look at the cool pattern! All of my others are solid colors. I haven’t even worn it yet but I’m in love.
4. The Surprise Mile: Thing 1 has never been a ‘runner’. I can count the number of kids’ races she’s done on two fingers. And that’s fine. I haven’t forced her. To each his own right? Fast forward to 6th grade: Their daily gym class is boot camp style, with no shortage of squats, pullups, situps, you name it. Plus they are timed in the mile. Every. Week. If it is not ‘fast’ enough, they repeat it. Tough, no? Well our little miss ‘nonrunner’ delivered a very respectable mile time on her very first (read no training) outing. In 85 degree heat. She’s gotten faster from there. In the face of all the reports swirling around lately about growing obesity and sedentary habits, I am loving this gym class and I commend the school district for encouraging kids to work hard and step up their fitness. Thing 1 is proud of herself. Mama is proud of her!
5. Denver RnR this weekend! I’ll admit I’m pretty giddy about this one. Maybe it’s cuz I’m going to see Jill and meet Terzah, Kathy and hopefully Erin. I also have it in my head that I’m going to run well. Haha I’m thinking those almonds are hallucinogenics! Nevertheless I am looking forward to it!
What are you loving right now? What is physical education like where you are?