I thought I was handling this whole pre-marathon injury fiasco fairly well until I found myself in tears in the middle of a spin class the other day. I think it’s part of the process of letting go. Of grieving the loss of the marathon I might have run had things been different. Ok so the stress of being grossly under-prepared is getting to me.
Today I’m having a virtual exorcism: Facing the obstacles head-on, confronting the fears and nagging doubts, the what-ifs, should haves, could haves, etc. and sending them on their way, never to dwell upon them again. This is the post where I burn some incense, maybe chant a little and let my fears float away. No sense in worrying now right? Easier said than done.
Ok the scary stuff. From no real biggie to scares the crap outta me:
- Rain: Not the worst scenario by any means but not optimal either. I’ve never run a full marathon in rain so have no clue what chafing/blistering issues I can expect.
- Heat: This is my kryptonite. It has a way of unhinging me mentally. Plus I seem to be a heat magnet with more than my share of inferno-like races. Right now there’s a 30-40% chance of rain with lows in the low 50s, highs in the low 60’s. I’ll take it.
- Course Cutoffs: There’s that gauntlet to beat at mile 17.5. I NEED to be there before 12:20pm. As if that weren’t enough there’s also a bridge to beat at mile 20 unless I want to ride the sag wagon in. I’ve got until 1:05pm. No pressure or anything.
- Early Hip Pain: The longer I can go pain free the better my chances are of finishing. Making it through the Zooma 5k pain free was a very good sign. Plus I’ve been resting/strengthening/stretching the crabass hip like it’s my job.
- Calf Strain: I suspect it’s almost a given this will be an issue. Best case, it’ll hurt. During the 5k it seemed to ‘warmup’ as I went and the pain was tolerable. It’s anybody’s guess how it’ll handle 26.2. In the meantime, there’s a whole mess of calf voodoo happening around here.
- Mentally Giving Up: Once I get in my head it’s game over. If I dwell on the negatives listed above or my sub-par training and start making excuses for why I can’t finish, I won’t. Staying in the game mentally is probably my biggest challenge.
How do you face down your fears?
Time is running out on my Yurbuds giveaway. Are you in?