Balance Bars are a sentimental favorite around here. I first started eating them to fuel my runs when I began training for distances longer than 10k back in 2006. Chocolate Peanut Butter was my flavor of choice.
Since then the kids really got into the cookie dough bars. Because we’re always on the go, I keep some in our gym and skating bags. They offer the perfect balance of 40-30-30 (carbs-protein-fat) nutrition but best of all, they taste great. To celebrate summer, Balance Bar has partnered with fitness trainer Holly Del Rosso, who has put together exercise videos to help shape you up for warmer weather. Check out her 30-minute lower body workout here and stay tuned for more workouts to come.
Another important factor when getting in shape, especially in summer, is hydration. While I adore water, sometimes I just don’t get around to drinking enough of it. Well when this super-cool Ball Mason Jar Infuser showed up, that was no longer a problem.
If you follow the MHS Facebook page, you already know how obsessed I am with this thing. Just slice up some of your favorite fresh fruit, insert it in the infuser then fill the jar with cold water for pure, natural refreshment with some fruity pizazz. I’ve got raspberries and lime in there in the pic but today I went with peach and blueberry. Such a fun way to hydrate!
One lucky reader will win a #SummerShapeUp Goodie Box that includes:
- A bunch of Balance Bars in Cookie Dough and Peanut Butter flavors
- A Ball Mason Jar Infuser
- A pair of handy dandy earbuds
a Rafflecopter giveaway
June and July are big party months here at Casa del Marcia. Everyone in the house has a summer birthday except yours truly, which leaves me with a bit of party planning on my hands. No worries though, because I love entertaining. Over the years, I’ve learned to make it easier and easier on myself.
- Plan your menu and do/make ahead as much as possible. Toppings, marinades, dips, appetizers, desserts, salads–prep all of it ahead. Even better, get someone to help you!
- Cooking is great but don’t be afraid of serving store-bought options. I love to cook but who am I kidding? Making every single thing leaves me stressed out and grumpy. Nobody needs a grumpy hostess. When the weather’s nice, I love enlisting the Caveman to tend the grill.
- Come up with a fun theme. This year I’m doing a burger bar for Thing 1′s 13th birthday party. Grilling one food item is easier and guests can customize to their hearts’ desire with toppings. There’ll be two “signature” burgers for fun:
The Red, White & Gouda has fresh tomato and onion slices and of course plenty of Gouda cheese.
For those who prefer their burger on the spicy side (Caveman, I’m looking at you), the Southwestern burger features red onion, avocado, salsa and pepper jack cheese.
- Have a vegetarian/vegan option. With burgers, this is easy. Sunshine burgers are organic, vegan, soy- and gluten- and GMO-free. They’re made from wholesome whole foods like brown rice, raw sunflower seeds, veggies and spices. They’re low in sodium and a good, plant-based source of protein and fiber. Best of all, they’re flavor-filled and delicious. Find them in the freezer section of your local grocery store. In these parts I found them at Sunset Foods and Whole Foods, but use this handy store locator to find them where you are. Throw them on the grill frozen and they’re ready in minutes. Simple and delicious, Sunshine Burgers are a must-try. Sign up for for their e-newsletter here and receive a $1 off coupon.
Need some great appetizer, side dish and dessert ideas to rock your summer party? Look no further:
Clockwise left to right: Barbecue Roasted Veggies, Lemon-Berry Shortcakes with Chia, Balsamic-Shallot Green Beans, Strawberry Yogurt Pie with Coconut Crust, Roasted Red Pepper Dip.
WIN IT! One lucky reader will win a free box of Sunshine Burgers and a $1 off coupon. U.S. residents only please.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
I received Sunshine Burger products to review without compensation. All opinions are my own. I was given the opportunity to review through the Sweat Pink Ambassador community.