Categories: Home Front, Missed Workouts
It’s day four now and counting since Thing 2 and I’ve been down with the flu. I thought I’d try and string a few words together before drifting into my next Nyquil-induced stupor. I can handle a 101-degree fever but simmering away at 102-103-104+ degrees is no picnic. I consider myself lucky, as the last time I had a flu like this one was right before the millennium. I’m also thankful it is not a stomach flu, although that works wonders (temporary I know) on weightloss.
Oh the fatigue, body aches, chills, exploding head and chest congestion. I’m pretty sure one wrong move and my lower back will snap clean across. It feels very weird to be out of commission for the most part.
This weekend the Caveman and Thing 1 subsisted on whatever they could scrounge up at Menards: Beefy jerky and Nerds.
I missed a run last week, my last long weekend run before the half marathon taper, and tomorrow’s workout is questionable as well. What does this mean for my race in two weeks? I’m still too feverish to think about it rationally, but it can’t be good.
The upside: You knew there was one right?
- It’s fund-drive time on PBS. Who doesn’t love a good fund drive? Oh right probably nobody. But Yanni performed at El Morro! Missed it though. Are you old enough to remember the Yanni at the Acropolis era? Ok that’s the fever talking.
- According to Dr. Wayne Dyer: We can become everything we imagine. I’m imagining a healthy, strong runner right now.
- According to Dr. Hyman and his Blood Sugar Solution: Once we get back in touch with true hunger, healthy foods taste delicious and cravings are gone. Why does it always sound so simple?
- Green tea and navel oranges never tasted so good.
- My race in two weeks is not an A race or even a B.
- I appreciate my usual good health more and will not take it for granted.
Do you get a flu shot?