Categories: Home Front, Motivation, Scheduling Fitness, Summer
We are one week into summer break and I’ve yet to find a rhythm. I think back to previous years and I wonder how the heck I squeezed marathon training in?
To be fair, Thing 1 and the Caveman were away this week so my runs while single parenting had to be on the mill. I could not will myself to go more than a few miles. Plus we’re having the house painted so there’s an added level of obligation waiting for them to show up, etc.
Finally this morning I made it out for a crack-of-dawn 6 miler. Before rush hour traffic. Before the winds whipped up and the sun got too hot. It was like old times (alas nowhere near as fast).
My shoulder started hurting like a mofo again. I blame sleeping on it ‘wrong’. I refused to let it spoil my glorious early morning though. Why is life so chaotic? Shouldn’t it be ‘easier’ now that the kids are no longer babies?
Probably more for my benefit than anyone else’s, I reflected on how I squeezed in fitness when the kids were smaller (they were 2 and 6 when I ran my first marathon):
- I followed a Plan (Run Less Run Faster) and crosstrained religously in the basement
- I worked out FIRST thing in the morning. Before life got in the way
- I reviewed my workout the night before so I was mentally prepared and didn’t waste time
- I laid out my clothes
- I negotiated a deal w/the Caveman so I could squeeze my run in before he left for work
- Most importantly: I was passionate about marathon training.
What are your tips for squeezing in fitness? Have you settled into your summer groove?
Still time to enter my FRS giveaway!