I usually do these on the last Friday of the month but since I’ll be in the final throes of NYCM stuff, and Halloween (and I volunteered in Thing 2′s class Friday, what? I hope they don’t mind when I put my feet up, snack and hydrate all morning) I thought it better to runfess sooner than later. Feel free to join in and tag me so I can share in your transgressions.
1. I show you all my scenic trail pics on Instagram, alas I have yet to find a trail shoe I really love. The Brooks ones I got awhile back are no bueno after about 5 miles (note to self, just stop trying to make Brooks work already) so I go trailing in whatever. Even my Newtons.
2. I am not nervous for NYCM today. At. All. Ask me again tomorrow, that may change.
3. I still have nothing to wear for NYCM. Tank + sleeves? Short sleeves + sleeves? Long sleeves I can push up? Peeps who’ve run NYCM what did you wear?
4. Not 2 hours after being told by my coach to stop pushing the pace, I (you guessed it) ran my tempo miles entirely too fast. What is with the rocket boosters during taper? Nerves? Adrenaline? Fresh legs? All of the above?
5. We rebooked our NYC hotel last night and got 5 blocks away from the finish for $120 less per night than the hotel we had previously that was 23 blocks away. Ok this is not a runfession but a celebration.
Ok your turn: What have you to Runfess? I promise you’ll feel better!
One of the fun parts of blogging (besides interacting with all of you) is trying out new products. Since I’ve got bunch to share, it’s high time for a Test Lab Thursday, don’t you think?
First up: Manitoba Hemp Hearts: What on earth is a hemp heart, you ask? It’s what you get when you remove the shell from the hemp seed. They’re tender and nutty and delicious. Best of all they’re packed with 10g of protein and 10g of Omegas per 30g serving. I like to sprinkle them on top of my smoothies, salads and even quinoa dishes. The kids love them layered with fresh fruit and Greek Yogurt in a fun parfait. Try them for yourself and share pics of your creations and tag @manitobaharvest #hemphearts and #sweatpink to be entered to win a 5lb bag of Hemp Hearts. Contest runs through November 30, 2014. Use code HHSweatPink14 to save 20% on everything on the Manitoba Harvest website.
MiniSuit SPORTY Armband: Truth be told, I’ve never been quite satisfied with the phone holder I currently run with. So when I was invited to test out the MiniSuit, I was all over it.
- Super thin and lightweight
- Seals your phone to protect against moisture/sweat/rain
- You can operate your phone right through the window
- There’s a special slot for a key and a couple of bucks
- Comfy: no chafing whatsoever on my 18-miler
- Fits iPhone 5, 5S, 5C and iPod 5g in a slim case
- If you’re the type who likes to use your phone to take pictures while running, you need to disconnect your earbuds before you’re able to slip the phone out of the case. Kind of a pain.
Te a Te Reiki Healing Energy Blanket: “This blanket has been touched by the hands of a practitioner of energy medicine with the intent of connecting the recipient to the source of all healing.” “Touching this blanket may help you center, quiet your mind, relax, recharge and heal.” Alright then. Honestly I’m not sure about these claims. But it is a comfy, lovely blanket and I super appreciate the intention. It’s 50″ x 70″ of reversible, Egyptian cotton. I’ve been wrapping up in it in the morning when I, well meditate would be too strong a word so let’s say set my intention for the day, and after my long runs. Thing 2 and I snuggle up in it when we read together. And the dogs are drawn to it, what can I say? For each blanket sold, $18.90 is donated to the Institute of American Acupuncture and Life Medicine. Read more about it here. This may be a great gift idea for that person with everything on your list.
What cool things have you come across lately? Have you thought about holiday shopping yet?
Note: I received these products free of charge for review purposes. All opinions, as always, are my own.